25 February 2013

ADIOS AMIGOS

Imagine:

You have spent one month with a group of precious children.
Today is your last day with them.
It is getting dark outside.
You are sitting in a chair surrounded my candles.
"My Redeemer Lives" begins to play in the back ground.
Eleven angels walk out from the house.
They softly dance around you before falling to their knees.
One of the angels begins to wash your feet.
What are you feeling inside?

John 13:1-17
12 When Jesus had finished washing the disciples' feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them.
13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am.
14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.
15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
16 I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.
17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

On Wednesday night, I was over whelmed when I experienced this.
Anna and I were asked to go outside.
We were instructed to sit in the chairs. We were surrounded by candle light.
The founder of the orphanage began reading scripture.
Reading from Romans and Isaiah, she thanked us for bringing the "good news."
She reminded us that we were sent by our Living God!

She stepped back into the dark as "My Redeemer Lives" started to play.
Our attention moved towards the orphanage doors as they opened.
Eleven of the older girls walked towards us in their white gowns.
As the music continued, they danced around us.
One by one, the girls went to their knees.
They began to wash our feet.

By this time I was in tears.
The first girl to walk out was my precious Yessi.
Dressed in white and carrying a candle she appeared as an angel.
For the past month and to this day, she reminds me to LOVE unconditionally.
I am nothing if I don't love like my Heavenly Father loves me.
Yessi was and is so very special to me. I love her.

1 Corinthians 13:2
If I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
  
The girl who washed my feet is also very dear to me.
While we had not connected in the same way, there was something special.
I continued to see something great even when our relationship was not great.
Her story, like all of the children, was of hardship and struggle.
She came from a dark past but I could see such a bright future.
I hope that she was able to see God's light shining in Anna and myself.
We wanted to to show God's love and the life you can enjoy in that!

Matthew 25:40
The King will reply,
Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.
  
When things were slowing down for the night, we had time to talk to the founder.
She began to explain the chosen bible verses and foot washing process.
If there wasn't enough to take in already, I was brought to tears again.
She spoke the truth, as she explained herself.
 *We were reminded that we were God's hands and feet. Sent by God to do His work.
 *Whatever we did to these children, we did to God. Matthew 25:35-36 !!!
 *Our feet were washed by orphans... "THINK ABOUT IT..."
 *We were changing lives. God was at work, NOT us.
 *Do we need to own anything if our Father owns everything?

In those final quiet moments before our departure, I was at peace.
God is doing amazing things in my life.
I went to bed, thinking about everything said earlier that night.
There was a lot on my mind. I wanted to put everything together.

There is nothing I could say to put my experience into words.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment