28 October 2012

CHICAGO

On Sunday, the "Expedition" team left for Chicago.
After the 11 hour drive, we went to an Afghan restaurant for dinner.
This was one of six cultural dinners including Columbian, Chinese, Thai...
The food was delicious. We ate very well on this trip!
Arriving at the housing center Sunday night, we quickly got ready for bed.
With a 5a.m. wake up call, we knew that we needed the sleep.

Bright and early, Monday morning, we started by packing our lunches.
We would be working at an elementary school every day from 8a.m. to 2p.m. 
I had the privilege of working with a grade 1 class.
This was a wonderful learning experience!
The students were so eager to learn and the teacher loved the extra help.
Interacting with the students was very inspirational for me.
Each student had something so special to share.
Fun Fact:
The teacher asked the students, "What do you know about Canada?"
     * They replied:
        Canada is cold.
        We have it as a state in America.
        It's down town.
        The people are quiet there.       
        Can we go with Ms.Samantha to see Santa Clause?...
       
In addition to working at the school, we spent our evenings serving in other ways.
Through out the week, we helped at various soup kitchens and shelters.
We also got to experience the streets themselves.
     * For example:
        On Monday night, we were sent by train to the other side of Chicago.
        In groups of 3, we spent our evening as "homeless" individuals.
        We had $2.00 for dinner and nobody to guide us.
        For 5 hours, we walked the streets.
        While we learned a lot, we didn't come close to experiencing the real thing. 

At times, I noticed a lot of need within this city. 
There was so much that we could have done to help.
With limited knowledge and only one week, there was little we could change.
On the first night, our guide even said:
"You will NOT be able to change the entire city but you CAN make a difference!"
Smiling at a homeless man, listening to a 6 year old, serving meals...
Even if our contribution was not huge, I think we were able to make a difference!

This past week was filled with amazing opportunities.
I was able to see God working through each person on the team!
As the week progressed, I noticed a huge change in myself.
     * As some of you may know, I am generally not good at talking to people.
       God was definetly working in me as I started various conversations.
       While walking the streets, serving soup, and tutouring I felt total comfort.
       God removed this fear of talking so that I could connect with these people.
       I was able to hold conversations with homeless people, students, etc...
       With this, I was able to see Chicago in a new light!
       The people taught me so much!

All in all, our trip to Chicago was fantastic.
I have no complaints.
God has a plan, it's going to be wild, it's going to be great, it's going to be full of Him!





No comments:

Post a Comment